Monday 6 June 2011

Ninnai charan adaindhen (I surrender to you, o beloved!)

I just listened to an amazing rendition of 'Ninnai charan adaindhen' by Bombay Jayashree in the ragam Pantuvarali.

What beautiful lyrics by Bharatiyar!

ninnai charaN adaindhEn kaNNamma, ninnai charaN adaindhEn
ponnai uyarvaip pugazhai virumbidum
ennaik kavalaigaL thinnath thagaathendru (ninnai...)

midimaiyum achchamum meviyen nenjil
kudimai pugundhana, kondravai pOkkendru (ninnai...)

than seyal eNNith thavippathu theerndhingu
nin seyal seithu niRaivu peRum vaNNam (ninnai...)

thunbam ini illai sOrvillai sOrvillai thorpillai
nalladhu theeyadhu naamaRiyOm, naamaRiyOm naamaRiyOm
anbu neRiyil aRangal vaLarthida
nalladhu naattuga theemaiyai Ottuga


The first line means "I surrender to you, O beloved" ('kanna' in 'Tamil' is a term used to endearingly address someone)

I was touched by the lines "than seyal eNNith thavippathu theerndhingu, nin seyal seithu niRaivu peRum vaNNam" which means "Forgetting the pain of doing a task for myself, I seek fulfillment in doing your task". They were an answer to a lingering confusion in my mind. :) 

P.S. - I am still trying to figure out how to insert the audio clip in the blog post. Will insert the song as soon I resolve this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment